moonlightreader

The Crime Coast: A Benvenuto Brown Mystery
Elizabeth Gill

Watch the Wall, My Darling by Jane Aiken Hodge

Watch the Wall, My Darling - Jane Aiken Hodge

This was entirely delightful. I've never read anything by Jane Aiken Hodge, although I've read The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by her sister, Joan.

I finally broke down and bought this book for the kindle after reading my second Phyllis Whitney reissue, Black Amber, which I've not yet reviewed over here, but which I actually enjoyed even more than Hunter's Green. This book continually popped up in my also boughts, so I've been eyeing it for a couple of years.

And, oh my, how delicious it was! The heroine, Christina Tretton, lately of backwoods America, currently of Dark House in Cornwall, was wonderful. Independent, capable, and handy with a pistol. The hero, Ross Tretteign, born on the right side of the blanket, but everyone knows that he's a cuckoo in the family nest, is a bit swoony, a patriot, smuggler, 100% masculine.

The book is set during the Napoleonic wars, when Boney is threatening an invasion. There's lots of midnight ramblings, a bullying grandfather, a silly French girl who nearly proves Ross's undoing, a neurotic mother, and a French spy.

There are no supernatural overtones to this one, just a good old-fashioned historical romance set in the marshlands, with a wonderful, strong heroine who is most emphatically not TSTL and who is resourceful and fully capable of rescuing herself. One of the most enjoyable books I've read this year, frankly, and quite a surprise.