moonlightreader

Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

Detective Inspector Huss by Helene Turston

Detective Inspector Huss - Helene Tursten

I wasn't sure about this one for at least the first 25% - either the writing or the translation seemed a bit stilted. However, I was enjoying DI Huss, so I persevered. And became engrossed.

I really love Scandi crime novels. I stumbled onto Henning Mankell donkey's years ago - long before Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy was published - and fell, not exactly in love with, but in great regard with damaged detective Kurt Wallander. At that time, Nordic Noir hadn't yet crossed the Atlantic or made it into English translation in any great volume. After The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo that all changed, and now crime fiction from Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark and even Iceland are a dime a dozen. Well, maybe not that inexpensive, but readily available for kindle.

As is often the case in crime fiction, the initial impression of the victim as a fine, upstanding citizen, hides a sordid tale of sex, money, and drugs. All the world round, one can depend on mysteries to deliver an indictment of society, through the medium of crime. I'd like to read more about Detective Inspector Huss.