moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

Summer reading: the 50 crimes of summer

As some of you may have noticed, I enjoy reading mysteries of pretty much all sorts, and there is something about summer that says "crime" to me. I don't know if it's the long, hot days that causes my mind to turn to murder during the summer, or the fact that a really good murder mystery is perfect for beach reading, but this summer I've decided to just go along with my attraction to all sorts of mysteries!

I cut my reading teeth on juvenile mysteries like Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden, and spent my summer vacations as a girl reading and re-reading the teen sleuths. My parents were always big mystery fans, so, as I got older and grew out of Nancy & Trixie, I picked up books by Agatha Christie, and then moved on to Helen MacInnes, Len Deighton, & Robert Ludlum's Cold War crime novels.

I am a fan of the police procedurals, detective fiction, and the occasional PI series. I've read a fair amount of European crime fiction, including the various versions of new noir: nordic noir, tartan noir and granite noir. The only major subgenre that I generally don't read is the modern cozy, although I do love golden age mysteries that have distinct cozy aspects. I generally find current cozies to be altogether too twee, set around yarn shops or bakeries or cats.

I'm not sure that I'll make it to 50 over the next four months, but I do tend to read more than 12 books a month, so we'll see how it turns out. I'm going to try to finish the last month of booklikes-opoly with crime fiction for each square, so we'll see how that turns out.

If you have a favorite mystery series, share it below. And, if anyone is interested in a buddy read of something crime related, I'd definitely be interested!