moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

Updated BL-opoly: Rolls 18.1, 18.2 & 18.3 + extra rolls!

Faithful Place - Tana French A Great Reckoning - Louise Penny Pocket Apocalypse - Seanan McGuire Wildfire at Midnight - Mary Stewart By Gaslight: A Novel - Steven D. Price

Just in time for the long holiday weekend, I finished Partner in Crime for Roll 17, and then rolled doubles twice!

Roll 18.1: I rolled a doubles 3, which sent me to the Start square, which is a free square! I will be reading The Faithful Place by Tana French for this task!

Roll 18.2: I rolled a doubles 4, which sent me to square 8: read a book tagged mystery, or that begins with one of the letters in CLUE! I will be reading A Great Reckoning by Louise Penny for this square. It's tagged mystery on GR by 668 users!

Roll 18.3: I rolled a 5 for this one, which puts me on the BL square. I rolled a 1, which tells me to let my BL friends choose a book for me! My list of four books is:

1.  The Love Interest - Cale Dietrich

Plot summary: There is a secret organization that cultivates teenage spies. The agents are called Love Interests because getting close to people destined for great power means getting valuable secrets.

Caden is a Nice: The boy next door, sculpted to physical perfection. Dylan is a Bad: The brooding, dark-souled guy, and dangerously handsome. The girl they are competing for is important to the organization, and each boy will pursue her. Will she choose a Nice or the Bad?

Both Caden and Dylan are living in the outside world for the first time. They are well-trained and at the top of their games. They have to be – whoever the girl doesn’t choose will die.

What the boys don’t expect are feelings that are outside of their training. Feelings that could kill them both.

2. The Hate U Give - Angie Thomas:

Plot summary:

Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed.

Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil's name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr.

But what Starr does or does not say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life.

3. Pocket Apocalypse: InCryptid, Book Four - Seanan McGuire:

Plot Summary:

Endangered, adjective: Threatened with extinction or immediate harm.
Australia, noun: A good place to become endangered.

Alexander Price has survived gorgons, basilisks, and his own family—no small feat, considering that his family includes two telepaths, a reanimated corpse, and a colony of talking, pantheistic mice. Still, he’s starting to feel like he’s got the hang of things…at least until his girlfriend, Shelby Tanner, shows up asking pointed questions about werewolves and the state of his passport. From there, it’s just a hop, skip, and a jump to Australia, a continent filled with new challenges, new dangers, and yes, rival cryptozoologists who don’t like their “visiting expert” very much.

Australia is a cryptozoologist’s dream, filled with unique species and unique challenges. Unfortunately, it’s also filled with Shelby’s family, who aren’t delighted by the length of her stay in America. And then there are the werewolves to consider: infected killing machines who would like nothing more than to claim the continent as their own. The continent which currently includes Alex.

Survival is hard enough when you’re on familiar ground. Alex Price is very far from home, but there’s one thing he knows for sure: he’s not going down without a fight.

4. Field of Blood - Denise Mina:

Plot Summary:

A sensational murder provides the young journalist Paddy Meehan with her big professional break when she realizes that she has a personal connection to one of the suspects.Launching her own investigation, Paddy uncovers lines of deception that go deep into the past - and that could spell even more horrible crimes in the future if she doesn't get the story right.

What say you? Which one should I read? First to comment chooses!

I will be reading Pocket Apocalypse!

I decided to go ahead & add my extra Memorial Day rolls to this post as well:

This one puts me on Haunted Mansion #19: Read a book tagged gothic or horror, or that is a ghost story. For this one, I will be reading Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart.

And, the next roll is:

Which sends me back to Paradise Pier, where I started today, on space #28: reach a book set during the Victorian era, or that is tagged steampunk. For this one, I've decided to read By Gaslight by Steven Price, which is set in 1885.