moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

The Falconer by Elizabeth May

The Falconer - Elizabeth May

I received a free e-copy of this book from netgalley.

I requested this book because I've been seeing the series by Elizabeth May popping up everywhere. Overall, I liked the book - it was sort of an 18th century Buffy the Vampire Slayer, with fae instead of vampires. I do have a few issues with the book, however.

First, it is awfully similar to the Karen Marie Moning Fever series, which makes it feel a bit derivative. In addition, one of the strengths of Buffy the Vampire Slayer was her relationship with her posse - Xander, Willow and Giles. It would've been nice to see some development of the supporting characters so that they could've been more active participants as opposed to being essentially window-dressing.

Finally, I do have an issue with the title of the book - it's a bit strange to call a book "The Falconer" when it doesn't even remotely involve falcons. I'm curious about book 2, and will likely continue the series. This one was enjoyable, but slight, and I doubt it will leave a lasting impression.