moonlightreader

Martin Edwards
Progress: 105/410 pages
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

New mystery series for me to read!

Knife Creek - Paul Doiron

This was my first entry into the Mike Bowditch series, but it won't be the last. I've been a fan of C.J. Box Joe Pickett and William Kent Krueger Cork O'Connor series for several years, and I tend to read a lot of mysteries, so when I saw the cover of this book on netgalley, I initially assumed it was a new book in one of those series (unfortunately BL hasn't uploaded the cover yet - & I don't know how to add it!). I was very surprised when I saw that it was the 8th book in a series set in Maine that was totally new to me.

I thoroughly enjoyed Knife Creek. Mike Bowditch was an engaging character. I also really liked both of the secondary female characters, Dani & Stacey. I appreciated the fact that the author gave them competence and characteristics that were unrelated to their physical charms, even if Stacey is apparently intent upon being her own worst enemy. The mystery itself was interesting and well-done. I

have a huge weakness for series set in woodsy, northern locations, and this series hit all of those buttons. This book will appeal to fans of mystery, especially those who are fond of the woodsy/outdoorsy style of mystery like Joe Pickett. I plan to go back to the beginning of Mike Bowditch and work my way forward - Paul Doiron has acquired a new fan.

Thanks to Minotaur and Netgalley for providing me a free review copy of this book.