moonlightreader

Progress: 105/410 pages
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

Once Upon A Time spring read

For many years, one of my favorite bloggers held a spring-time festival of all things fantasy, folklore, fairy tale and myth. He called it the Once Upon A Time Challenge, and it generally lasted between the first day of spring (the vernal equinox, which is today) and the first day of summer (summer solstice, June 20). Unfortunately, it seems to have gone by the wayside, since I went looking for it today and was unable to find any sign that it's coming back in 2017! He also had some of the most wonderful images, which I have borrowed for this post!

This is a major bummer for me. As fall, to me, is all about gothic literature, supernatural, terror, and crime, spring, to me, has developed into an opportunity to dive into epic fantasy and fairy tales. In spite of the fact that Once Upon A Time has been consigned, apparently, to the past, I'm going to move forward with the quest.

out10journey

The Journey:

The Way of Kings/Words of Radiance: I've been holding off on starting Sanderson's Stormlight Archive because I know that Sanderson is planning somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 more books, and therefore it will be frustrating, and I will likely shuffle off this mortal coil before he finishes. Nonetheless, the third book is planned for release in November, so I'm going to read the first two books for this project.

Lady Trent: I'm a huge fan of Marie Brennan's Lady Trent series, which is all about combining intrepid Victorian lady explorers in skirts with dragons!. I've read the first two books, and the fifth and final book is going to be released on 4/25. I'm going to reread the two first books, and then continue on with the final three to complete this series!

Series Rewatch TBD: I'm vacillating here between Grimm and Once Upon A Time. I've watched more of Grimm than OUAT, but I'm way behind on both. I'll advise once the decision is made. Suggestions are welcome.

Multimedia: I've been planning on re-reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell for a while, and while I am at it, I wouldn't object to watching the companion series.

American Gods: I've owned this book for years, and haven't ever gotten around to reading it. The series begins in April on Starz, and it looks amazing. I need to read this book, and I need to read it soon!

There will be more than this - fairy tales and folklore and fantasy will abound. I'd be interested in getting together a group read of something, if anyone else is interested!