moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

Reading progress update: I've read 178 out of 553 pages.

Trade Wind - M.M. Kaye

‘Blackguards? What sort of blackguards?’ enquired Hero, intrigued. ‘Adventurers. Black sheep. Runagates. Varmints like “Roaring Rory”.’ ‘Who is he? – a pirate? He certainly should be with a name like that!"

I am reading this on my kindle, and I suspect it will end up qualifying for the "rogue" square.

Like many books of this vintage, there are colonial aspects to it that have not worn well. I like Hero, though she definitely exemplifies the "white savior" narrative. On the other hand, her ostensible "love interest" at this point, Clayton, is just a douche.

"He did not let this worry him unduly, for there was, after all plenty of time. And with a girl of Hero’s temperament he knew that he would get there a deal faster by moving slowly. Once they were safely married, things would be very different."