moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

The Twelve Tasks of the Festive Season: Task the Eighth

Well, I've completed a few of the tasks, but I've not written up any posts yet! I thought I would start with this one, though, since I just saw Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them on Friday!

I am a huge Harry Potter fan, and was so looking forward to something else set in J.K. Rowling's magical world, and for me, this movie did not disappoint! I loved seeing some of the historical underpinnings of the wizarding world, even if it was the New World, versus the Old World. I thought that Rowling did an excellent job with showing some particularly American distinctions, and she rather nicely looped in references to the Salem Witch Trials.

I also really loved the characters. Eddie Redmayne as Newt Scamander was charmingly awkward, but for me, it was Katherine Waterston as Porpentina (Tina) Goldstein who really stole the show, along with Dan Fogle as Jacob Kowalski. Actually, Jacob - the NoMag - might've been my favorite character of the entire movie.

There were several delicious moments, including a visit into Newt's suitcase that was truly magical. All in all, fantastical is really the right word to describe the movie, and I spent a lovely 133 minutes being transported into the world of magical 1920's New York City!