moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

I listened to this book, in preparation for my vacation to California because we had tickets to visit Universal Studios and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter! Obviously, I needed a bit of Potter to get me in the proper frame of mind!

The handsome fellow with the red backpack (since you can't see his face, you'll just have to take my word for it that he is handsome) is my husband - we were looking for an owl for my daughter in the owlery.

Anyway, this one will work for the witches square. There are about eleventy-billion reviews of all of the Harry Potter books, so I'm not inclined to add another one to the masses, and will just make the following notes about this particular book:

This is the only book of the Harry Potter series that is 4th both in the series order and in order of MR preference. My preference order is:

1. Prisoner of Azkaban

2. Sorceror's Stone

3. Deathly Hallows

4. Goblet of Fire

5. Half-Blood Prince

6. Order of the Phoenix

7. Chamber of Secrets

Luckily, the first time around, I read the first three books consecutively, or I might've quit at Chamber of Secrets. That is the weakest link, I think.

I also maintain that this is the book where HP stops being MG and begins being YA. It is the book with the most gratuitous murder by Voldemort, the cruel, unnecessary and meaningless death of Cedric Diggory. With that one move, J.K. Rowling tells her fans that shit just got real, that Voldemort isn't a pretend villain, and the the darkest wizard to ever live really is the darkest wizard to ever live. Emotionally wrenching, it is one of the emotional high points of the series for me. Goblet of Fire is a turning point in the series, and begins that long climb to Deathly Hallows where the books really stop being individual stories and become one continuous narrative arc.

I'm not sure if I will read on right now, although re-entering the Harry Potter world makes it difficult to leave.