moonlightreader

Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

Ha!

Death in Cyprus: A Novel - M. M. Kaye

"Twaddle" said Mrs. Blaine angrily, watching her go.

"What is?" inquired Amanda, startled.

"Her books. Silly, sloppy, sentimental twaddle with a nasty streak of sex. I can't think why anyone reads the stuff."

"Escape," said Amanda, promptly. "Just think what life must be like for millions of girls. A deadly, boring grind. Then they read something by Persis and think "that might be me!" and feel a lot better!"

"Do you mean to say you read them?" demanded Mrs. Blaine incredulously.
"I used to. My last headmistress banned them on the strength of one about a poor but honest hat-check girl who got mixed up with racketeers, dope peddling and white slavery. She emerged spotless of course - all Halliday heroines do -- but the ban was enough to make us smuggle them into the dormitories by the dozen."

Lol! And that, my friends, is why banning books is a bad idea! If people didn't want to read it before the ban, they certainly will after!