moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

There is a reason I read this.

Seal Team Bravo: Black Ops - Eric Meyer

Why in the hell did you read this, MR? This is the question that you are probably asking right now, looking at the title and cover of this book.

Well, let me tell you why. I'm participating in a giant team challenge on GR and one of the tasks that we needed to fulfill was a book with soldiers on the cover. I'd been side-eyeing at that task as though it was this:

(which, as a total aside, was in my bathroom sink yesterday morning. I was sad to burn down the house, but it had to be done, you understand.)

In any case, somebody had to read something or we weren't going to be able to get a new task. My dad, bless his heart, apparently reads these things, so I picked the shortest one that I could find and I downloaded it and (skim)read it over my lunch hour.

It is every bit as awful as you would expect, but then again, I am totally not the audience for his book. Having said that, this book is a series of cliches and stereotypes packed into a patriotic pablum that is easily digestible by people who see the world in black and white. If you like your propaganda pre-digested for you, and are seeking books that will leave your jingoistic perspective entirely unchallenged, this one is for you.

Let me add, as well, that I do not say this out any disdain for the United States miltary, which does mostly great work under frequently difficult circumstances. This sort of one-dimensional approach to the complicated issues just isn't my thing.