moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

Lawyer, mother, avid reader. Bingo host extraordinaire! Partner in crime to Obsidian Black Plague! My bookish weaknesses include classics, fantasy, YA, and agreeing to read more books than is even remotely possible.

Entertaining but somehow unsatisfying

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs

I finished this on Thursday, but hadn't had a chance to do the write up!

I feel like this book was a little bit of a missed opportunity. I liked it fine, but I wasn't overwhelmed by it. It felt a bit like the author worked so hard to fit the quirky photographs into the book, that he ended up neglecting the story.

Don't get me wrong, it was an entertaining little tale. But when I compare it to The Graveyard Book, it is lacking in something that I can only call "heart." And maybe that isn't fair, because this was Ransom Riggs's first book, and for a first effort it is quite good.

I loved Miss Peregrine, and I liked some of the concepts behind the book. I bought the box set of the three books, and I'll definitely read them all, but I wasn't riveted enough to move right to book 2.

The book is beautifully designed, though. And a solid adaptation of this little tale could be amazing.

Adequate, but not amazing. And, it fills my YA Horror square!