moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

Lawyer, mother, avid reader. Bingo host extraordinaire! Partner in crime to Obsidian Black Plague! My bookish weaknesses include classics, fantasy, YA, and agreeing to read more books than is even remotely possible.

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

Right on the heels of the shit show that was Zero Day, I picked up The Graveyard Book. For several days, I've been seeing this go across my feed with friends really enjoying it, so I had high hopes.

Every hope I had was satisfied.

Nobody Owens - Bod - was a charming subject for a book, and the denizens of The Graveyard, who raised him when Jack murdered his entire family, were delightful. Neil Gaiman can turn a phrase - oh, can that man turn a phrase. His writing is so heartbreakingly lovely that it is, at times, almost unearthly.

And he's funny. And he likes cats.

“Name the different kinds of people,” said Miss Lupescu. “Now.” Bod thought for a moment. “The living,” he said. “Er. The dead.” He stopped. Then, “…Cats?” he offered, uncertainly.

The cat approves.

As with any Neil Gaiman, I can only assume that this would be fantastic in audio. I wish that I had known of this book when my children were young enough that I was still reading aloud to them, because The Graveyard Book would become an October tradition in my home as a read aloud. It is more than 300 pages long, but it contains some illustrations, and I don't think it would take more than 3 or 4 days to read to a child.

Everything about this book is wonderful.