moonlightreader

Progress: 40/496 pages

Finished: Death in the Tunnel

Death in the Tunnel - Miles Burton

Finished

Ha! I love a good whodunnit, and that big smile when all is revealed is why! This was a very complicated murder with lots of moving parts. Desmond Merrion, Inspector Arnold's brainy friend, reminded me a little bit of Nero Wolfe for some reason.

Quite enjoyable, overall! I'm going to put this one in my "genre mystery" square, and keep "Locked Room Mystery" for The Mystery of the Yellow Room.

Page 163:

I am about 3/4 done with this book and I have literally No Idea At All whodunnit.

Whoever pointed out that this book is puzzle-centric is absolutely right. It is full of "If A did this, then B must be so-and-so." There aren't a lot of frills on the narrative, but I find myself liking Inspector Arnold nonetheless. He's one of those laconic British police officers that so often appear in Golden Age Mysteries.

Page 15:

I decided to start this one last night before bed, because Mayhem and Ammie Come Home were freaking me the hell out and I needed a nice, totally grounded in reality, non-supernatural, murder. This one had been sitting on my tbr shelf for a while - I am so fond of these British Library Crime Classics editions!

I didn't get very far, but I suspect that this one will fit the bill quite nicely.

Not sure if I will be using this one for Locked Room Mystery or Genre-Mystery, but I'll definitely fit it in somewhere!