moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

Lawyer, mother, avid reader. Bingo host extraordinaire! Partner in crime to Obsidian Black Plague! My bookish weaknesses include classics, fantasy, YA, and agreeing to read more books than is even remotely possible.

JOINT POST: MR AND OB TALK: SET ON HALLOWEEN

The Halloween Tree - Ray Bradbury Hallowe'en Party - Agatha Christie Dark Harvest - Norman Partridge Trick or Treat - Richie Tankersley Cusick

Today's topic is "Set on Halloween". I had a lot of fun with this one and it took a lot for me to not set aside a bunch of books right now. After the bingo I think I am going to be up to my eyes in books.

MOONLIGHT MURDER

I think that this actually ended up being the hardest square for me to fill, which really surprised me! I thought it would be easy-peasy to find books partially set/related to Halloween, but, it's turned out to be much more difficult than I expected. Here are some suggestions:

1. The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury: this novella-length work is set on Halloween. It is available on audio, and has received really good reviews! As an aside, Bradbury has two other books that will work for this square: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Green Town #2) (which is set a few days before Halloween, but is close enough as far as I am concerned, as this is the one I am planning to read) and The October Country

(short stories set during the festive Halloween season).

2. Hallowe'en Party (Hercule Poirot #36) by Agatha Christie: I am actually reading this one for my pumpkin square, but it will work here as well!

3. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving. This one will work for multiple squares as well, including set in New England. I will be listening to this one on audio.

4. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter #1 by J.K. Rowling. "Troll in the Dungeon. Thought you ought to know." At least the first two or three Harry Potter's specifically mention Halloween at Hogwarts. So, if you are a fan of The Boy Who Lived, and just can't fill this square, there's always Harry!

I am pretty sure that there are probably cozy mysteries/romance novels in which Halloween makes an appearance, but I don't have them identified! If you do, comment below and tell us!

OBSIDIAN BLACK DEATH

I love Halloween. Maybe because I was not allowed to ever partake in the festivities as a kid. But I love something about being out at night on what is supposed to be the darkest day of the year.

I love Halloween because all of the movies on Lifetime that are so cheesy but are my secret guilty pleasures.

I love Halloween because though I will complain, I do love dressing up in a costume.

I love Halloween because watching scary movies for that whole month with friends is fun. And heck, I love watching them alone too.

I love the dark nights, the moon, listening to the wind and imagining myself in some castle on a moor somewhere.

Here are my three picks:

1. Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge. I have never read him before but am very excited to start this book. It sounds right up my alley. And for those still looking for a pumpkin square this book cover has a pumpkin.

2. Trick or Treat (Point Horror) by Richie Tankersley Cusick. One of the writers who got me started on reading horror as a kid. I loved this book when it came out in 1989. It also fits the Young Adult horror square. And you can use it for the Genre: Mystery, Genre: Horror, and there is even a cemetery I think that makes an appearance in this one so you got your grave or graveyard square too.

3. Johnny Halloween: Tales of the Dark Season by Norman Partridge. I dithered between my first pick and this one for my Halloween square book but ultimately got the first one instead.

Here are some more books that not only fit the Halloween square, but also young adult as well.

4. Halloween Night (Point Horror) by R.L. Stine. Brenda hates her cousin Halley. And Brenda isn't the only one. Because Halley keeps stealing other people's boyfriends. So Brenda and her friends decide to plan the perfect murder. Something to go along with Brenda's perfect Halloween party.

5. Halloween Night II (Point Horror) by R. L. Stine.  The chilling sequel to Stine's bestselling Halloween Night.

And here are some more Halloween books just because.

6. October Dreams: A Celebration of Halloween by Richard Chizmar (editor). Classic novellas, never-before-published stories, essays on the history, literature, and films of Halloween, and real-life memories of October 31st-from today's best practitioners of fear: Dean Koontz, Peter Straub and others.

7. A Catered Halloween (A Mystery with Recipes #5) by Isis Crawford. Sisters Bernadette and Libby Simmons are thrilled they've been asked to cater a haunted house fundraiser. But they soon discover that ghosts aren't the only unwanted guests when a murderer strikes...

Image result for halloween gifs

Other posts in the series:

Magical Realism

Supernatural

Locked Room Mystery

Mystery

Diverse Authors

Fall Into A Good Book

Dark and Stormy Night

Stay tuned tomorrow for "Pumpkin!"