moonlightreader

Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

The Moon By Night by Madeleine L'Engle

The Moon by Night  - Madeleine L'Engle

This is part of a L'Engleverse project that I am involved in. So far, I've finished the following books:

Murry series:

O'Keefe series:

1. The Arm of the Starfish

2. Dragons in the Waters

3. House Like a Lotus

4. An Acceptable Time (overlaps with Murry series)

Austin series:

5. Troubling a Star

Stand-alones/duologies:

1. And Both Were Young

2. Camilla

3. A Live Coal in the Sea (Camilla #2)

4. The Small Rain (Katherine Forester #1)

5. A Severed Wasp (Katherine Forester #2)

Crosswicks Journals:

1. A Circle of Quiet

2. The Summer of the Great Grandmother

3. The Irrational Season

4. Two Part Invention: the Story of a Marriage

This book:

I'm glad I waited until June to read it, although July would've been even better. I was initially pretty lukewarm on it, but I ended up really enjoying it. I think my expectations were much too high initially, but once I settled into it as really a family road trip story, it started making more sense to me.

Moon by Night was initially published in 1963, 3 years before I was born. When I was about 14 myself, in 1980, my family did a similar camping road trip where we took a motor home from Boise down to California and visited Big Sur and the Redwoods, and then wound our way up the Oregon coast over the course of several days, to Astoria, and back over to Boise. I remember having many of the same experiences as Vicky, especially related to boys that I encountered on the trip. So, in that way, the book really resonated with my adolescent experiences. Vicky is very believable as a 14 year old girl.

I don't have my copy of the book with me while I type this post, so I can't add any quotes, but I also found the section where Vicky is confronted with the reality of Anne Frank and has a discussion with her uncle about her shaken faith in a benevolent God was to be well-done and perceptive on the part of L'Engle. Young people, in my opinion, don't get nearly enough credit for being willing to think big thoughts and have serious arguments with their own ideas. I love it that L'Engle included that section - she was a deeply religious woman, but also obviously spent a lot of time thinking about her faith and her religion and was aware of some of the contradictions inherent in religion (like C.S. Lewis, with his writing on, for example, the problem of pain).

I still hate Zachary Gray, and I wasn't all that thrilled with Andy putting demands on who Vicky could associate with after spending one afternoon with her, but that level of teenage male possessiveness does ring very true, and Vicky's irritated yet flattered reaction to it made me smile a bit.

Overall, I ended up really liking the book. I feel like it really added a lot of detail and life to the various characters. And, I want to go hang out with Vicky's grandfather, because he sounds like one of the most wonderful men ever.

Next up: I am going to finish An Acceptable Time, and then move on to The Young Unicorns.

20 books of summer: Book 2