moonlightreader

Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

Hieronymus Bosch #2

The Black Ice - Michael Connelly

I listened to this as an audiobook. The narrator was fine, although I think that someone else might do a better job.

One of the things that mysteries do better than just about any other genre, in my opinion, is really take a setting, in this case LA and Mexicali, and use elements of location to become nearly a character in the novel. Connelly is one of the best - his understanding of big city police politics and his knowledge of LA makes for compelling stories even without the added angst of corruption and drugs and murder.

Overall, this was a great story, with a really terrific ending. I can't help picturing Titus Welliver as Bosch, which works really well to visualize the events within the story. And if you've not yet caught the amazon prime series, I highly recommend it.