moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

Lawyer, mother, avid reader. Bingo host extraordinaire! Partner in crime to Obsidian Black Plague! My bookish weaknesses include classics, fantasy, YA, and agreeing to read more books than is even remotely possible.

Not Bosch, but still interesting

The Poet - Michael Connelly

A month or so ago, I snagged a couple of Harry Bosch audiobooks, The Black Echo and Black Ice. My husband & I decided to listen to Black Ice on the way to the beach. We didn't finish it, but I've been listening away on my own & expect to be done listening this week.

I read a fair few Harry Bosch crime thrillers about fifteen years ago, but in no particular order, and there is no way for me to reconstruct which ones I've already read. I was browsing for a new audiobook, & stumbled on a book called The Narrows, which is a follow-up to this book. It is a cross-over between FBI agent Rachel Walling, a character in this one, and Harry Bosch, and involves the same killer. I am going to Disneyland at the end of the week, & need an audiobook for the plane ride, but I didn't want to listen to The Narrows without reading this one first, so I bought it & read it yesterday

It is one of Connelly's rare first person narratives (so rare, in fact, that this might be the only one). The MC is a reporter named Jack McEvoy whose brother, a homicide cop, has committed suicide. Or so it is believed, until McEvoy figures out that it was actually a murder.

It is a ripping tale - I started in the morning and finished at around 11:00, with breaks for errands, football, and a spot of David Suchet as Hercule Poirot. Not great literature, but well-plotted and the end is an adrenaline rush - you know how newspaper book reviewers are always calling stuff "compulsively readable," well, yeah, it's a dumb expression, but this book is, in fact, compulsively readable. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Connelly.