moonlightreader

Marion Zimmer Bradley
Progress: 50 %
Partner In Crime
J.A. Jance

Didn't live up to my expectations

Shadow Scale - Rachel Hartman

Seraphina was one of my favorite books of 2013, so I was really, really excited about this one. I started it immediately.

And it took me 8 months to finish it.

It is fine, but I have to be honest - it dragged. It was overlong, and meandering, and occasionally felt like it was going no where. And because I struggled with it, even now, at the end, I feel like I didn't really understand the resolution. I still enjoyed the characters, and the world was rich and lovely, but the actual plot resolution really made little sense to me. I finally just got so tired of it staring at me from my "Currently Reading" collection, guilting me with my sense of inadequacy, that I finished it.

I feel bad that I didn't love it more. I think that Rachel Hartman is incredibly talented, and I will read everything she ever writes. But this one just didn't work for me.