moonlightreader

In Siberia
Colin Thubron
Progress: 50/304 pages

A Summer of Travels

Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes and The Amateur Emigrant - Robert Louis Stevenson,  Noted by Christopher MacLachlan Around the World in Seventy-Two Days: And Other Writings (Penguin Classics) - Nellie Bly

One of the last remaining vestiges of my love of GR is a group over there named the Dead Writers Society. I've been really bad about participating and/or keeping up this summer, but one of the moderators set up a themed read that looks like so much fun! We're reading travel memoirs by dead guys (and gals).

The official reads include:

Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes by Robert Louis Stevenson. The Cevennes are apparently a mountainous region in France.

Point Sublime-Gorges du Tarn-Frankreich.jpg

"Most of the problems travelers encounter have to do with transportation. On a 12-day trek through the Cevennes, Stevenson's cross to bear was Modestine, a stubborn, manipulative donkey he could never quite get the better of. After many humorous trials and tribulations, Stevenson found that his disdain for the creature had turned to love, and at the end of the trip he said goodbye with much regret. Written in just a few months when he was in his late twenties, the publication was initially a means to earn a quick buck. Little did Stevenson know that his Modestine would become one of the great characters in travel literature." (Amazon Review).

and Around the World in Seventy-Two Days by Nellie Bly.

Born Elizabeth Jane Cochran, Nellie Bly was one of the first and best female journalists in America and quickly became a national phenomenon in the late 1800s, with a board game based on her adventures and merchandise inspired by the clothes she wore. Bly gained fame for being the first “girl stunt reporter,” writing stories that no one at the time thought a woman could or should write, including an exposé of patient treatment at an insane asylum and a travelogue from her record-breaking race around the world without a chaperone. This volume, the only printed and edited collection of Bly’s writings, includes her best known works—Ten Days in a Mad-House, Six Months in Mexico, and Around the World in Seventy-Two Days—as well as many lesser known pieces that capture the breadth of her career from her fierce opinion pieces to her remarkable World War I reporting.

I will also add some "unofficial" reads, as well, including Freya Stark's A Winter in Arabia, which has been on my shelves for several years, unread.

108632

Which I am starting today.