moonlightreader

Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

A bit meh.

Vanishing Girls - Lauren Oliver

I have been reading so little that it took me four days to read this book.

That never happens to me. On the other hand, my stitchery is nearly done, and I am planning the next project - embroidered tea towels for my mother.

But, I digress.

This book was just okay. It is very similar to a shit ton of other contemporary YA with damaged female protagonists. I might have been more impressed if I hadn't just read Nova Ren Suma's 17 and Gone and E. Lockhart's We Were Liars, both of which covered much of the same ground, but more convincingly, in my opinion.

I didn't really buy this narrative. I don't want to spoiler it, but I thought I had figured out the twist, and then there was something in the narrative that made me go, "no, that can't be right," which is either me misunderstanding OR a major hole in the narrative. I don't care enough to go back and try to work it out.

So, yeah. It was okay. Well written. But very similar to so much YA "issue fiction" that I've read recently that it is clear to me that I need to stop reading "issue fiction."

As I get ready to start Nova Ren Suma's Imaginary Girls. Which is gonna be the very definition "issue fiction." Maybe I should rethink this plan . . .