moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

The Invention of Nature: Alexander von Humboldt's New World
Andrea Wulf
Progress: 40/496 pages

For anyone interested in child abuse

Cheering for the Children: Creating Pathways to HOPE for Children Exposed to Trauma - Casey Gwinn

I haven't actually read this book, because it was just released.

However, I've seen Casey Gwinn speak in my capacity as a child abuse professional, and I am well acquainted with the ACE (Adverse Childhood Experiences) study, an enormous study conducted by Kaiser involving 17,000 participants, which evaluated the impact of child abuse on the physical and mental health of adults. Child abuse in its myriad forms is one of the greatest public health issues of our time.

I have been a child abuse prosecutor, and the attorney for the state in cases where child protection services is forced to remove children from homes because of neglect or abuse. I am currently a juvenile prosecutor, which means that I handle cases involving delinquent youth who have become involved in the criminal justice system. I know a lot about child abuse.

Casey Gwinn is one of the good guys - an advocate for children, and for change.

Child abuse has tremendous public health costs. Adults who had adverse childhood experiences (abuse, neglect, parent with addiction issues, foster placements, homelessness) are many times more likely to die of a heart attack than people who did not have adverse childhood experiences. ACEs tend to occur in clusters, with many children experiencing four and five and more ACEs.

The scope of the problem is staggering, and the reality is disillusioning. But knowledge is power and power leads to change. If you are interested in helping kids to be healthy and safe, this book could be a place to start.