moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

Murder On The Orient Express - Agatha Christie

I listened to this using my scribd membership.

The story itself is not new to me. If I recall correctly, I read this for the first time sometime in high school, and I've probably reread it a few times since then since Christie is one of my comfort reads, and this is one of my favorites.

This is a classic locked room mystery - the kind at which Christie excels. Adding to the mystery is the fact that it occurs on a train crossing Eastern Europe in a snow storm. The solution of the mystery is either one of the best, or one of the worst, examples of the genre. Personally, I find it to be both. The complexity of the solution is almost ridiculous, but is still breathtakingly clever.

The murder victim is a psychopathic piece of shit. No one will mourn him and he deserved what he got.

The audio version is narrated by David Suchet, who played Hercule Poirot for many years in television adaptations of Christie's beloved mysteries. He did a fine job, and reading his voice narrating the mystery is like spending some time with a close friend whom one has not seen for awhile.

I was really excited to see that many of Christie's novels are available as audiobooks on scribd. The scribd audiobook catalog is really amazing. If you are an audiobook reader with an iPhone, I highly recommend the membership. for $8.99 a month there is a literally unlimited selection of available listening material.

The scribd app is, sadly, a bit glitchy. It works fine while playing, but it is important to bookmark when turning it off. Restarting tends to be sketchy, and will sometimes jump forward, sometimes jump backwards, but rarely starts in the correct spot if the app has not been in use for more than a few minutes. I have seen a lot of complaints about the problems with the app, and hopefully the designers are working on the issues. This is a minor annoyance, however, as I have quickly become accustomed to setting a bookmark and starting from the mark.