moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

The Robin Hood Read: Hood

Hood - Stephen R. Lawhead

This is a historical fiction trilogy written by Stephen Lawhead. I have read the entire trilogy, so expect two more rapid-fire reviews.

Notes on Hood:

• Lawhead writes historical fiction, so this is more serious than a lot of Robin Hood tales. It is set post-Norman Conquest, and the king is William Rufus (son of William the Bastard, or William the Conquerer). It is set in Wales.
  • I enjoy medieval history set in Wales, so I was predisposed to like this one.
  • Hood is told primarily from the perspective of Bran, the deposed king of Elfael, a Welsh commote. He is trying to regain his throne.
  • There is a great deal of intrigue surrounding the church and the papacy in these books.
  • The character development is pretty good. Bran is an appealing character and is acting out of generally noble motives.
  • Lawhead has a reputation as a writer of "Christian fiction." None of the books in this trilogy should be classified as Christian or inspirational, however. There is little theological content, and Lawhead does not sugar-coat the clerical corruption that prevailed during this historical period.

My general thoughts on this book was that it was above-average, but not something that I will probably reread. I will definitely, however, read more Lawhead. I've heard good things about his Arthur cycle, and more than one person has advised me that Byzantium is his best book. I enjoyed the complexities of the trilogy, and felt that the character development was good and the story was solid.