moonlightreader

Martin Edwards
Progress: 105/410 pages
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

A bit slow, but still a lot of fun

A Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness

So, this book hit so many of my personal buttons, that I am able to forgive it the whole "vampire romance" aspect, which does basically nothing for me.

Oxford - check.

Witches - check.

Academia - check.

I absolutely love books written about academia, if that academia includes the dreaming spires of Oxford, so much the better. I love historical stories, and if those historical stories include witches, again, so much the better.

This book was too long, and the romance was more than a little irritating. I dislike the fact that Diana is unable to use her magic, and I am hopeful that that the author will get on with that part of the story and solve that problem, because it grows annoying.

But, overall, I really, really enjoyed this book. So much so that I'm reading right into book two of the series: