moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

Reading progress update: I've read 178 out of 358 pages.

Shadow and Bone - Leigh Bardugo

This is a re-read. I read the series as they were released, but, as is often the case, while I enjoyed the three books, I didn't necessarily feel like I completely absorbed the books. When there is a year between each book, I am bound to lose something in the extended distance between each reading experience.

So, I thought I'd reread them for fun. It typically takes me about two-thirds the amount of time to do a reread than a first read, and I also typically get a lot more out of the reread. I can see the seeds of the later plot arcs, and know better which threads become a significant part of the warp and woof of the story, versus just being tied off and forgotten.

This isn't a particularly important quote, but what a lovely description:

"I followed her across a corridor to another set of enormous double doors. This pair had been carved to look like the cover of an old book, and when Genya pulled them open, I gasped. The library was two stories high, its walls lined from floor to ceiling with books. A balcony ran around the second story, and its dome was made entirely of glass so that the whole room glowed with morning light. A few reading chairs and small tables were set by the walls. At the room’s center, directly beneath the sparkling glass dome, was a round table ringed by a circular bench."

I'd like to see this library!