moonlightreader

Martin Edwards
Progress: 105/410 pages
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

Readerly rambles (a mini-review of Thunder Bay by William Kent Krueger)

Thunder Bay - William Kent Krueger

This is the 7th book in the Cork O'Connor series. I've been reading them in order with my scribd subscription. At this point, I need to take a break from the series, because I've binge read so many that they are starting to blend together.

When I mentally organize my books/reading tastes, I put this one in the category as follows:

Mystery: U.S.: male author: male protag: cold weather

It is roughly matched with C.J. Box and his Joe Pickett series, and Craig Johnson and Longmire.

The strength of the series is in Cork O'Connor, the likeable main character who was once, and then was again, the sheriff of his small Minnesota community. He has resigned as sheriff for the second time (well, in fairness, the first time he was basically run out of the job because of a bad incident that occurred before book 1). He is extremely committed to his family, and is generally a decent fellow. His marriage is stronger in book 7 than it was in book 1, when he was separated from his wife, Jo.

The series also has some interesting Native American themes - Cork's mother was Ojibwe or Anishinaab (I may be spelling this wrong) and his father was white, so, as he describes it, he is not Ojibwe enough for the tribe, and not white enough for the town. His heart is pulled in two directions. I think that Krueger does a nice job with these elements without either patronizing or fetishizing the culture.

Book 7 focuses a great deal on Henry Meloux, who is a Mide, an elder of the tribe with some near supernatural/spiritual powers. Henry is a great character, and this installment tells us even more about his history and life than we have gotten so far in the series. I was ambivalent about his tale at the beginning, but looking back, I am really appreciative that Krueger took the time to center a book around Meloux and give us his back story.

Solid series, solid author. I'm sure I will finish out the series, but I've read too many too fast, and need to step away.