moonlightreader

Martin Edwards
Progress: 105/410 pages
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

Five things to know about the Kickstarter controversy

1. I do not have a dog in this fight. I do have an opinion. That does not make me a bully.

2. Completed writing absolutely has value. Works in progress and stuff that is still in your imagination does not. This is not about readers not wanting to pay authors for their books. We are happy to pay you - for the books you have written. We are not happy to pay you for a book you may someday write and publish.

3. Asking for living expenses in a kickstarter is not like getting a publisher advance. When the publisher advances you money, they do so on the strength of the contract between you that says "I will make money for you." If I fund your kickstarter, you are not going to repay me for my donation plus a percentage of your royalties. If you want to set up this sort of an arrangement with me, let me know and we will talk.

4. This is about risk. If you are going to self-publish, the risk is yours. If you are going to have a publishers, the risk is still yours + theirs. No reader should ever bear the risk of an author's success or failure.

5. This model is not sustainable anyway. Readers will not reliably pay authors for books that they may receive in 90 to 180 days. And, if it becomes popular, the same extremely powerful and beloved authors will use it to their advantage, which will leave the unknowns in the same position that they are now - unable to leverage themselves to take advantage of this opportunity. Imagine if Neil Gaiman did a kickstarter. Now, do you really want to go down this road?

This whole debate is silly and pointless and divisive.