moonlightreader

Progress: 100 %
The Crime Coast: A Benvenuto Brown Mystery
Elizabeth Gill

Moonlight Reader's Slightly-More-Obscure Victorian Classics book club for 2015

I love a good read-along/book club. Before I had kids and my career took off, I belonged to a real-life book club, and it was amazingly fun! Unfortunately, life happened, and I ended up having to drop out after my son was diagnosed with autism and my career started focusing on very serious person crimes, mostly involving child victims.

I've also been chipping away at my classics club list, but, if I'm going to finish it, I need to step up my game.

I'm therefore announcing my classics list for next year, in the hopes that each month I will be able to persuade a few of my friends to read along with me. Don't feel like you need to read every book, but jump in - or out - based on what captures your interest! I know that a lot of these books are looooong. The Victorians are known for being long-winded! Queen Victorian reigned from 1837 to 1901, so books written and published during that period (and there are a lot of them) are eligible for the list.

Every month, I will post a schedule for reading on the first day of the month along with a hashtag to use on twitter and BL to keep track of the read. If you are reading, comment on the opening post. If I am not already following you, this will give me the heads up to follow you so I can see your updates/reviews of the book.

Since this is intended to move my classics club reading list forward, I'm choosing the books as follows:

January: North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (480 pages, published 1854)

February: New Grub Street by George Gissing (576 pages, published 1891)

March: Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (480 pages, published 1874)

April: Mrs. Marjoribanks by Margaret Oliphant (512 pages, published 1865)

May: The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope (772 pages, published 1875)

June: The Charterhouse of Parma by Stendhal (532 pages, published 1839)

July: The Law and the Lady by Wilkie Collins ( 427 pages, published 1875)

August: East Lynne by Mrs. Henry Woods (644 pages, published 1861)

September: Rise of Silas Lapham by William Howells (400 pages, published 1885)

October: Germinal by Emile Zola (592 pages, published 1885)

November: Washington Square by Henry James (240 pages, published 1880)

December: Heidi by Johanna Spyri (352 pages, published 1880)

These are books I have not read, so I make no promises about their quality or enjoyability. They are just books that look pretty interesting (to me) and that fit my classics club project.

You can find the reading list here!