moonlightreader

Moonlight Reader

That moment when you realize

Below the Root: 1 (The Green Sky Trilogy) - Zilpha Keatley Snyder

that you've finally found a book that you read so long ago you weren't even sure that it existed.

Let me explain.

I have been on the trail of a book I read in grade school for the last thirty (or more) years. All I could remember was that it was about a race of creatures/people who lived in trees. There was another race of creatures/people who lived on the forest floor. It was wonderful and magical and amazing.

I had googled wildly, trying to figure out if this was even a real thing, or if it was a story that I had told myself that had somehow taken on a life of its own in my brain. I had never had any success at all in locating any books that even remotely fit the description despite searching for literally decades.

Until today. Because today I found Zilpha Keatley Snyder's Below the Root (Green Sky Trilogy #1) on amazon. I stumbled on it when I was checking out The Ghosts of Stone Hollow, which is on sale. I follow Open Road on twitter, and they had tweeted about YA Halloween sale, and that was one of the books. When I got to amazon, I looked in the also boughts, and there it was. Originally published in 1975, it is just the right age for my recollection - in 1975, I was 9 years old. It must have been brand new when I read it.

Seriously, this is the culmination of a quest that has lasted for decades. Now I just need to read it, and see if it is as magical and wonderful as my memory of it is.