moonlightreader

Martin Edwards
Progress: 105/410 pages
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

Moonlight Murder and the blogger confessional

I've been really enjoying reading everyone's blogger confessionals.

I was late the blogging party. I started on amazon in the early reviewer days, on August 18, 2000, with my review of The Railway Children (you can find it here, on booklikes).

Let me hearken back to what I was doing in August, 2000. I had just returned to work after FML for the birth of my second, and final, child. I was busy - so busy - my husband and I were two full-time parents working at two full-time jobs. I have no idea what made me decide to post that review.

After reviewing on amazon on a really hit or miss basis for a number of years, someone in my office introduced me to goodreads, and from there, I started my first book blog, which I have since abandoned, in January, 2012.

For me, what really started me into blogging was joining the Classics Club. I love reading newly released books, but I don't really enjoy reviewing them. I don't know if it is that I like to have some time and some distance between the book and the review, or if I feel like I just don't have as much to say about books that are brand new, but I am happiest when I am putting together my thoughts about a book that was written 20, or 200, years ago. I started my wordpress blog in August, 2012, to blog about my classics projects.

One of the things that I want to get better at, actually, is putting together coherent and insightful posts about new books.

I think that a lot of people blog from a certain perspective, and I am probably one of them. I am a feminist, in that I believe that women are human beings, and a lawyer, and approach my posts through the lens of someone who is both of those things. I find that I cannot leave my legal training behind when I write reviews - I am constantly asking myself if I can really support my conclusions.

Mostly, I blog because I want to order my thoughts, to organize my perspectives, and to make for myself, and anyone else who reads my posts, a record of what I have read, and what I thought. I get a lot out of fiction reading - I enjoy that spark of recognition, of correlation, that moment when I can see the influence of something old - an archetype, a piece of folklore, a literary device - on something newer.

And I am a huge believer in lifelong learning and self-education. I have been fortunate enough to have had a tremendous amount of schooling - a J.D. is a terminal degree, doctorate level education in the law. But, even so, I never want to be done learning. My happiest moments have always been with my kids and family, but my second happiest moments, those are the ones where my brain is going 100 miles an hour, immersed in a book. It is fiction and history - and especially the confluence of the two - that are my real passion.

I am basically a massive book geek. Blogging satisfies my geek impulses - I can throw my thoughts out there into the universe and see if any of them stick, whether they are about feminist themes in Courtney Milan's Victorian historicals or in George Eliot's Middlemarch.

I blog because I am passionate about books and talking about books. I don't blog to sell books for authors - but if that happens, I'm pleased as can be.