moonlightreader

Martin Edwards
Progress: 105/410 pages
Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen Fry

Reading progress update: I've listened 158 out of 405 minutes.

The Hound of the Baskervilles -  Arthur Conan Doyle

I have been doing a lot of driving, so I've been dipping into audiobooks.

I have noticed that Audible's prices on classics have taken a steep plunge of late, which I am finding absolutely wonderful, so long as the reader purchases the kindle book first. So, I bought The Hound of the Baskervilles for 2.99, narrated by Simon Prebble, after purchasing the kindle version of the book for .99. For the price of a latte, I got 6 and a half hours of Holmesian entertainment for the road.

The Hound of the Baskervilles is a perfect autumn read (or listen). It is set in the fall, and there is something particularly autumnal about the moors in any event. I can't think of a single book set in the English moors that isn't better read during the fall/winter - preferably before a roaring fire, with a cup of tea and a shortbread biscuit nearby.

After I finish Holmes, I snagged the Tim Curry/Alan Cumming version of Dracula for free. And, just for fun, I grabbed an audio copy of Wuthering Heights for $2.99. I am hoping that I enjoy it more in audio than I did in print, but have found it to be an almost universal truth that reading a classic more than once is critical to really understand it. Plus, there is just something in the complicated Victorian language that is so gorgeous by ear - it is a wholly different experience to listen to a classic than it is to read one.